Monday, October 6, 2008

A little about me...

As some of you may know, I grew up in Oak Park and went to Irving School when I was a kid. I also attended and graduated from Julian and OPRF. I always knew that I wanted to be an artist and work with kids. I studied art at Columbia College for three years, then transferred to Northern Illinois University and became an Art Education major. After lots of studying and a semester of student teaching, I graduated in December of 2007 with a degree in art education. Then I began the job search.

In the spring I did some substitute teaching in Berwyn and taught ceramics for the Park District of Oak Park. I could not believe it when I heard that Ms. Johnson (my old art teacher) was retiring and that Irving was looking for a new art teacher. I knew that I wanted to teach elementary art so I applied for the job, and you know the rest.

I am so excited to be teaching art at Irving this year! I have had a great start of the school year and have enjoyed getting to know the students and the rest of the Irving community. Everyone has been very nice and welcoming.